Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chinese New Year

It’s that time of the year again… New clothes, new hairstyles, new cars, a new year… But some things remain, like people, like me, like broken hearts… This annual déjà vu is but a fleeting moment, but somehow every year I face this same scenario with a different sentiment.

House visits, cash for presence exchange, carbohydrate loading and friendly façades. We see the same people, played the same sets of cards, asked the same questions and replied with stencil answers. Every year, we rinse and repeat, at times with new additions to the revelry, at times with an empty seat at the corner where one used to be… No matter what, no matter how, this ancient Chinese tradition carries on…

I don’t understand why I still look forward to such things again. All this celebration, these congregations, it’s just like a video tape replaying round the circumference of days… And I am just following through the motion…

If only I could just play back last year…

No comments: