Monday, May 26, 2008

Climbing

It’s been sometime since I last did this, so long that the calluses built up over the last training have long worn off… I don’t know what inspired me to just do it again, nor do I know where this strength and resolve came from… I just wanted to climb…

Away from ground level, away from the earth that we humans have encroached… I scaled the rocky limestone, clipping each bolt as I ascend up the horizon. My arms grew weary with each passing move. My legs struggling to keep up against the laws of gravity. With each leap and grab, my mind has transcended beyond the threshold of pain. Searing through my palms are the cause and effect of friction… As I painted the rocks with the colours of my resolve, all my earthly emotions flows through my hand back to this land that spawned me, and I realized… Pain is my only salvation…

Pain is a reminder to the soul of the bonds it shares with the flesh. Failure is just another reminder that not everything is within my grasp… Perhaps I’ve never done enough, or maybe I’ve never done anything… Retreat and I will age, hesitate and I will die, my only notion is not to stand still. What is there to fear, when I have nothing more to lose.

Climbing is all about failure. Ask anyone who has worked on a project for days, weeks, months, years… There are no conquerors of mountains and king of this land; only the rabid desire to surpass what the climber was only a moment ago. 1 more moment, 1 more breath, 1 more move closer to fruition. When, if ever, is he satisfied?

Me…

Never…

No comments: