Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Numbers...

In my life, I’ve never been one that really gambles or took any sides in a game of chance, except of course, the yearly affair of New Year gambling… But today, I found myself standing in front of the Singapore Pools booth, buying Toto… It’s the second time I actually bought 7 numbers. 7 numbers that actually meant something to me…

I shaded the boxes and all only to find out at the counter I shaded erroneously… Embarrassed, I asked the staff how it should be done… I could still remember the last time I bought the numbers because of her… The date we got together, the approximate time we first kissed… Though the result never strike a single digit… But somehow I still seek solace in the fact that it’s only a try in the numbers intertwined in our relationship.

But today, I really don’t know why am I here… Queuing with all these people, right in front of the super mart, and right at the very same booth I 1st queued for our numbers… Just that this time the numbers are not the same… 09 11 20 07 The very date our relationship ended. 22:42, the time of the message she sent that carries the connotation of breaking up... and 30 the number of days in the month of November…

Striking the lottery has always been the last thing on my mind, but somehow I still bought it… These numbers that meant so much to me are now digitized into a piece of pink slip… How I wish I could also digitized my pain away… Perhaps, the numbers I bought are not for any monetary gains, but a form of cerebral respite. Perhaps, what I’m looking for is not the exact numbers to be on the television screen, but an answer to all that’s left me broken…

No comments: